Trojans fall valiantly to Thunderbirds


    trojan-mascot-with-spear-and-shield, maroon and grayBROCKWELL – The Kirby Trojans faced Guy Perkins in the second round of the Class A State Playoffs on Friday.

    In the early part of the game the Trojans fell behind 4-0 before closing to 6-5 on a three pointer by Carson Smith.

    The Thunderbirds then used a stiff defense to go on an 8-0 run and would close the first quarter with a 14-7 lead.

    In the early second quarter, Kirby’s Lee Whisenhunt took over, scoring 8 points and leading the Trojans to a 18-17 lead with just over four minutes remaining.

    The two teams traded baskets for the rest of the quarter. Guy-Perkins took a slim 29-27 lead heading into the break on a basket just before the buzzer.

    At the half, Whisenhunt led Kirby with 13 points and 3/4 FT shooting, while Carson Smith added seven.

    In the second half the Thunderbirds again jumped out fast, bolting to a 40-32 lead. A two by Whisenhunt and a three by Dawson Bailey would close the gap to 40-37.

    Guy Perkins would close the period on a 9-0 run to take over the game.

    The final quarter’s results proved to be no better for the Trojans, with Bo Stewart fouling out with just under two minutes and a hot shooting Guy Perkins that cemented the 60-40 final score.

    For Guy Perkins Jahcoree Ealy finshed with 17 points and Tre Minton added 16.

    Kirby was led by Whisenhunt with 18 and Smith with 12.

    After the game, Thunderbirds head coach John Hutchcraft said that “Kirby played a really good ballgame” and that they “had a good game against a good team.”

    “Kirby is one of the best teams we have played all year,” Hutchcraft said, admitting he was forced to slow down the pace his game plan to better to compete against the Trojans.

    The Trojans finish the year with a 21-11 record.

    Previous articleMrs. Gladys Ann Brotherton Turner, age 72, passed away, Sunday, February 28, 2016
    Next articleObituaries (Week of Feb. 29, 2016)